Legal Aid of San Bernardino (LASSB) has an immediate, full-time position for a Housing Paralegal. The ideal candidate will have a demonstrated commitment to serving disadvantaged populations and we will give preference to candidates who have knowledge of poverty law and experience providing services to low-income individuals.
Legal Aid Society of San Bernardino is a 501 (C)(3) non-profit organization that was founded in 1958 for the purpose of providing civil legal services to the indigent and needy. Since its formation, LASSB has continually provided free legal services to the needy to protect their rights and assist them in remedying problems which affect their daily lives. We provide free legal services throughout the vast county of San Bernardino. Our organization advocates for the rights of those who are low income, and we believe the right team with a powerful vision can change how society contributes to their success.
· Interview prospective clients and complete intake and closing letters
· Assist with document preparation such as unlawful detainer answers, fee waivers, discovery, conservatorships of the person, guardianships of the person and elder abuse restraining order applications
· Maintain confidentiality and preserve and protect privileged communications
· Assist attorneys with e-filing, file organization and communication with clients
· Attend trainings, community meetings, community education events and community workshops
· Develop positive relationships with clients, co-workers and community partners
· Using LegalServer, Westlaw and other programs, collect and maintain data required under the specific grant
· Paralegal certificate and a minimum of two (2) years of relevant legal experience
· Bilingual Spanish/English
· Ability to use appropriate software in the performance of professional legal work
· Ability to assist with data collection in order to comply with all program and grant requirements
· Licensed to drive in California or otherwise has a reliable means of transportation to travel to court, meetings and outreach events as necessary
· Ability to communicate clearly and respectfully with those who may have educational, language, cognitive impairments or other barriers to understanding
· Familiarity and competence with e-filing
· Ability to meet deadlines and perform multiple tasks while maintaining attention to detail
· Excellent organizational skills
· Must work well with others and have a good sense of humor
Passion for LASSB’s mission & serving those in need
Job Type: Full-time
LASSB thrives on our diversity and we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to building a culturally diverse workplace and strongly encourage women, persons of color, LGBTQ individuals, veterans, persons with disabilities, and persons from other underrepresented groups to apply. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Please email the following to our email@example.com(1) cover letter (no page limit), (2) resume, (3) references, and (4) writing sample.